Tuesday, May 5, 2009

If you aren’t outraged, you aren’t paying attention.

"If you aren’t outraged, you aren’t paying attention." I guess it’s been a few years since I first saw that bumper sticker. At the time I was offended by it because I was NOT outraged (then), but I knew that I read the news and listened to NPR regularly, so I knew I was paying attention. Yet someone was implying that I was ignorant of the facts or something.

Regardless, I was offended.

Now that I’m in the minority and spending and deficits are at record levels with no restraint in sight, bashing of the rich is a common theme; taxes are set to stifle businesses, harsh interrogation techniques are being called illegal, and socialized health care looms large on the horizon, it’s now that I FEEL that “If you aren’t outraged, you aren’t paying attention.” (I kinda feel all whack-a-doodle, like up is down and down is up.)

However, I can admit that my FEELINGs are likely offensive. I can admit that many folks that advocate record spending, wealth redistribution, higher taxes on businesses, playing politics with security policy, and socialized health care… indeed ARE paying attention and we merely have differences of opinion. I’m certain that we all want a vibrant economy, justice, and security, but we just disagree on how to achieve them.

Yes I now FEEL outraged. And, Yes I’m perplexed by those that aren’t also outraged. But they have every right to their unique opinions.

So you won’t see me with a new bumper sticker anytime soon, because I’d hate to offend anyone. That just wouldn’t be productive.

But I could be wrong. I often am.

2 comments:

  1. Why is it that just because I don't agree with higher taxes, deficit spending, socialized medicine, etc. etc. etc. and I speak out, I am labeled intolerant or un-PC. I am outraged, and, Yes, I am paying attention. If I offend someone because I vocalize my opinion, then they will have to "build a bridge and get over it", because I'm not going to be silent anymore.

    Also, I don't think that because you and I don't approve of the above actions by our govt. that we are a minority. I think that more and more people are getting outraged by what is happening.
    That's just my humble but accurate opinion, and they can be wrong if they want too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. imho, we are labeled as intolerant because we often stand elbow to elbow with haters and we say nothing. we therefore give our tacit approval to intolerance.

    OR, at least we've made it easy for the opposition to paint us this way.

    but i could be way wrong. there could be other reasons why.....

    ReplyDelete